From Brooklyn Centre Wiki
Who Am I and Why Did I Create this Site?
- My maiden name is Sandra Wanicki, but I am now known as Sandra Rozhon.
- I lived in the Barbarowa neighborhood from 1948 thru 1961 on Redman Avenue. I attended St. Barbara's Elementary School from Kindergarten thru to my graduation from 8th grade in 1958. I later married James Rozhon in St. Barbara's Church in 1964. He was the grandson of a long time resident of the area, Ludwig Kapusta. As early as 1909, Ludwig had a butcher shop at the corner of West 14th St. and Redman Avenue.
- It was through the exploration of our combined family trees that I discovered just how interconnected everyone in this neighborhood was. These pages, then, were my attempt to try to organize all the bits and pieces of information that I stumbled upon over the years. At some point, it became obvious that maybe others who had ties to the neighborhood might also enjoy looking through these items.
- I am eternally grateful to my husband for wandering around the neighborhood taking pictures when he got his first camera. Most people tend to take photos of family members. He took pictures of places and things...the places and things our nostalgic hearts now try to hang onto as we grow older.
- When the Jennings Freeway chopped up the neighborhood, much was lost. His pictures, though, have preserved a bit of that history.
- If you've enjoyed looking through these pages and think that maybe you have some pictures that may be of interest, I encourage you to write to me and we'll try to include your memories too.
- --Sandy 06:53, 10 June 2008 (PDT)