From Brooklyn Centre Wiki
- Brown's Grill and Bowling Lanes - 3857 West 25th St.
- Carl Altenbernd Cigars & Tobacco - 1911 Willowdale Ave.
- Clothes Cleaners
- Boston Chain Store - 3820 West 25th St.
- Drug Stores
- Furniture and Appliances
- Mayer-Marks - SW corner of Denison and W.25th St.
- Gas Stations
- A&P Grocery - West 25th and Garden Ave.
- Badarzynski's Grocery - 1404 Denison Ave.
- Fisher Foods -
- Foose's Meat Market - W.18th and Denison Ave.
- Fred's Meat Market - 1601 Denison Ave.
- Kapusta's Meats - 3701 West 14th St.
- William Kardas Grocery - 1409 Denison Ave.
- Tillie's Confectionary - 3701 West 13th St.
- Sidlowski's Grocery - 3748 West 13th St.
- Sublot #EF36 - 3727 West 13th St.
- Sublot #EF69 - West 13th St.
- Geo. Wagner Meats - 2209 Denison Ave.
- Jos. Wrubelski Meats - 3765 W.13th St.
- Louis' Laundry - 3783 W.25th St.
- Harmony Shoppe - Denison Ave.
- Jordan Camera - 3802 W.25th St.
- Zuzek's Steak House - Harvard & Jennings Ave.
- John Kenski's Shoe Repair - 1621 Denison Ave.
- Soda Shop
- Badar's - 1603 Denison Ave.
- Anthony T. Jenkins tailor shop - 1819 Denison Ave.
- Archwood Tobacco Shop - 3755 West 25th St.
- Variety Stores
- Harshaw Chemical - 1000 Harvard Ave.
- T.I. Kerns - 167 Newburgh Street. (1883)
- Masek Glue Co. - 1320 Denison Ave.
- Bradwell Lumber Co. - 3888 West 25th St.
- Norcross Marble Co. - Harvard & Jennings Aves.
- Cuyahoga Soap - 808 Denison Ave.
Cleveland Public Library
- Mail and News
- The Town Crier - published by Harry M. Farnsworth
- The Cuyahogan - published by Harry M. Farnsworth (this was the successor of The Town Crier). Later owned and operated by A.E. Hyre.
- 18__-1___ Cleveland Evening Leader
- 18__-1___ Cleveland Evening News
- 18__-1917 Cleveland Leader
- 18__-1___ Independent News
- 1818-1820 Cleveland Gazette
- 1818-1820 Cleveland Register
- 1819-1837 Cleveland Herald
- 1834-1836 Cleveland Whig [weekly](absorbed by Cleveland Daily Gazette)
- 1837-1837 Cleveland Weekly Gazette
- 1845-____ Cleveland Plain Dealer
- 1854-1865 Cleveland Morning Leader
- 1878-1884 Cleveland Penny Press
- 1884-1860 Cleveland Press
- 1889-1___ Cleveland World
- 1895-1___ Cleveland Recorder
- 1927-____ Cleveland Call and Post
- 1960-1963 Cleveland Press and News
- 1963-1982 Cleveland Press
- Streets started out a dirt roads, then well-travelled roads needed some sort of covering to make them more easily passable during wet weather. Pearl Street has been referred to in some old deeds as Plank Road, so it is likely that an attempt was made to use wooden boards or logs to make a road surface. Further improvements included the use of a base of small stones, and then later, bricks, and later still, asphalt.
- If you ever wondered how some streets came to be named what they were, in many cases, streets were named for the property owner or for a member of their family.
- Many street names were lost forever in 1906 when the city of Cleveland decided to rename all north-south running streets with numbers.
- Old Version vs New Version:
- Botany Avenue - Between W.14th St. and W.16th St.
- Bridgeview Avenue - West 23rd St. (south of Denison Ave)
- Clayton Avenue - South of Denison Ave
- Delmar St. - West off West 25th (between Mapledale Avenue and Archwood Avenue)
- Dobson Court - East off West 25th (between Forestdale Avenue and Garden Avenue)
- Doering Court - South of Denison Ave
- Elvira Alley - North of Denison Ave (between W14th and W13th)
- Fern Court
- Forest St. - Forestdale Avenue
- Foster St. - West 14th St. (between Redman Ave and Denison Ave)
- Garden St.
- Gertie St. - West 15th St. (north of Denison Ave)
- Grandview St. - West 22nd St. (south of Kenneth Ave)
- Greenwood St. - Archwood Avenue
- Hapgood St. - West 16th St. (south of Denison Ave)
- Hazelwood St. - West 20th St. (south of Denison Ave)
- Howard St. - West 17th St. (south of Denison Ave)
- Hurley Avenue - South of Denison Ave
- Jennings Avenue
- Kenneth Avenue - South of Denison Ave
- LaSalle St. - West 18th St. (south of Denison Ave)
- Lookout St. - West 13th St. (between Redman Ave and Denison Ave)
- Lyle Court - West 22nd Place (north of Denison Ave)
- Maple St. - Mapledale Avenue
- Newburgh St. - Denison Ave.
- Oak St. - West 22nd St. (south of Kenneth Ave)
- Park Place - West 18th St. (north of Denison Ave)
- Pearl St. - West 25th Street.
- Petty St. - West 15th St. (between Denison Ave and Botany Ave.)
- Pixley Court - West 21st St. (south of Denison Ave)
- Pixley St. - West 19th St. (south of Denison Ave)
- Redman Avenue - Between W.13th St. and W.15th St.
- Selzer Avenue - Between W.21st St. and W.25th St.
- Terrace St. - Willowdale Avenue
- Wieland St. - West 24th St. (between Denison Ave and Seltzer Ave.)
- For specific rules for street naming, see Cleveland city code - Section 305
- Click here for other streets of Cleveland
- 1833 - Attempt by Philo Scovill to create the Cleveland Water Company.
- 1846 - Cleveland Gas Light & Coke Company. Laid gas lines to provide gas for lighting.
- 1854 - An act is passed to build a water reservoir in the "City of Ohio"
- 1834 - All of the following railroad companies were incorporated:
- Cleveland and Newburgh Railroad Company
- Officers: Aaron Barker, David H. Beardsley, Truman P. Handy, John W. Allen, Horace Perry, Lyman Kendall, and James S. Clarke.
- From the harbor at Cleveland to the eastern terminus near the corner of four townships, Newburgh, Warrensville, Cleveland, and Euclid.
- Rails made of wood. Train powered by a tandem team of two horses.
- Ohio Railroad Company - crossed the state through the lake counties.
- Cleveland & Pittsburgh Railroad - destination the state line in the general direction of Pittsburgh.
- Cleveland, Columbus & Cincinatti Railroad - destination Cincinatti.
- Cleveland and Warren Railroad - destination Warren.
- Cleveland and Erie Railroad - destination Ravenna and Portage County.
- 1851 -
- Cleveland, Painseville, & Ashtabula Railroad
- Junction Railroad - from Ohio City to Toledo
- The above two merged to form the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad
- 1861 - As the need to move around the city became more necessary, several street railways were formed.
- West Side Street Railway - Detroit Street to Superior Street.
- 1863 -
- St. Clair Street Railroad -
- 1869 -
- Brooklyn Street Railroad - A streetcar rather than a true railroad. Two miles in length.
- 1872 -
- Broadway and Newburgh Street Railroad - A streetcar rather than a true railroad.
- Southside Railroad - From Union Depot through Bank Street, Seneca Street, Scranton Avenue, and Jennings Avenue (modern name W.14th St.)
- 1874 -
- Superior Street Railroad - From Public Square to Willson Avenue (modern name E.55th St.)
- Cedar and Jenning Line - From Lake View Cemetery to Brooklyn Bridge